Thursday, July 8, 2010

Homemade Herb Pappardelle


I got inspiration for cooking fresh pasta from Peter who owns a local Deli in Dubbo called Newtown Providores. Pete showed me some great flour he has that is about half semolina half durum wheat by Bellata Gold Australian Millers called "Duralina" and that it is the best flour for making fresh pasta. I have been wanting to buy a pasta roller but I couldn't wait and I thought I should make an effort to roll it by hand a few times for fun. I got some organic eggs from the Cobb & Co between Bathurst and Orange on our road trip out to Dubbo. I had some on toast and they were lovely eggs, so I used them to make this Pappardelle pasta. The name derives from the verb “pappare,” to gobble up.

Ingredients:
2 cups Duralina flour
2 organic free range eggs
3 more egg yolks
2 tbsp fresh garden herbs chopped finely
1 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper

Method:
Place the flour on the bench and make a well for the eggs.
Stir them in with a crab hand like so:
Add fresh garden herbs and pepper. Knead for about 5 minutes to get a shiny, silky dough. Hard work!
Leave for 60 minutes in fridge covered in plastic wrap. Remove when ready to cook and roll out on the bench. Always roll away from you, turning the circle as you go until it gets about 1-2mm thick - more hard work!

Cut into 3cm wide ribbons.
In a large pot boil 5 litres of water with a tablespoon of sea salt.
Drop in and stir straight away to stop sticking. Cook for around about 5 mintues till al dente (some taste testing in this stage is essential.....of course).


Serve with a yummy sauce - I used a wild mushroom Jamie Oliver recipe that has a chilli, garlic, butter, parmesan and parsely sauce. I think it would also go really well with a duck or veal and pork ragu with tomato and pancetta based sauce.

We had this pasta with a really nice wine; "Idyllic Hills" Shiraz from the Canberra region, given to us by Jess & Geoff - I thought the wine tasted really nice just after a taste of the lemon/butter/garlic sauce because it has a really nice strength and energy about the flavour and matched the meal well.

No comments:

Post a Comment