I am a keen experimental cook who is interested in organic, sustainable, locally grown ingredients.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Swiss Cheese Souffle!
Heather and I made Swiss Cheese Souffle from Julia Child's Cookbook:
Mastering the art of French Cooking
It was delightfully light and delicious!
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp plain flour
1 cup boiling milk
4 egg whites
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1/3-1 cup swiss cheese chopped finely
Julia Child's does an amazing job of describing each step in a lot of detail, and so this does not do her recipe justice! I'll have to get my own copy of this famous book of yummy recipes...
1. Melt butter in pan then add flour and cook for 5 mins
2. Add milk at once and turn off heat, whisk in thoroughly
3. Put back on heat and whisk in the cheese (leaving 1 tbsp for the top) and pepper
4.Whisk the egg whites with salt in a mixer or by hand (we did it by hand!)
5. Lightly fold into the butter mixute in three batches, then scoop into souffle dish!
6. Sprinkle leftover cheese on top!
7. Bake in 205 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. Do not open the oven!
Thursday, May 06, 2010
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)