Yesterday I cooked a stir fry with soft tofu. It was really nice – I like its texture, it is like ricotta cheese. I bought some filo pastry to inspire me to invent something new yesterday, so today I invented a recipe to use it with Tofu:
1/2 cup sliced sweet potato or kumara
1/2 cup sliced white potato
1 cup sliced zucchini
6-8 Large Free range farm Eggs
1 packet Soft organic tofu
1 punnet Cherry tomatoes
½ cup Ricotta cheese
Your choice of herb (sage, oregano, rosemary or thyme work well)
Handful of olives for top
1. Slice potato and sweet potato thinly (2-3mm) with a good sharp knife, and microwave for three mins covered with a little water. Drain and set aside.
2. Place filo pastry in a oiled baking tray or pie dish; two sheets at a time brushing with butter or olive oil in between. Allow the corners to flair out over the edges.
3. Beat eggs and season with pepper and salt
4. Place a layer of mixed sweet & white potato & zucchini slices in bottom, sprinkle selected herbs from your garden, a handful of halved cherry tomatoes, and some ricotta in the gaps. Add extra salt and pepper if desired.
5. Pour some beaten egg mixture over this layer to just cover it
6. Place a layer of thinly sliced tofu.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 once more
8. Finish with a layer of potato and scatter olives over the top with a sprinkling of herbs and pecorino pepato.
9. Bake at 180°C until browned and crispy
I think this recipe would be a great brunch recipie for a lazy weekend at home. I might cook it this Sunday and go for a run and get the paper on the way back while its cooking!