Monday, March 26, 2012
Dark Brown Banana Bread
1 cup S.R. Flour
1 cup Wholemeal Flour
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp bi-carb soda
½ cup dark brown sugar (make sure it’s dark brown, as this is important to give the right colour)
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
3 very ripe large bananas, mashed
2 tbsp golden syrup or honey
2 beaten eggs (or 3 egg whites)
½ cup of vegetable oil (or applesauce)
1/3 cup Greek-style yoghurt (no-fat if you please)
1. Mash your bananas and leave them in a bowl to darken up for a couple of hours. This isn’t essential, but this, in addition to the dark brown sugar, is where the bread will get its dark colour from.
2. Preheat your oven to 180˚c and grease a loaf tin
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together
4. Mix all the wet ingredients together
5. Fold all ingredients gently and pour into loaf tin. Don't overmix, or this is where your 'bread' will turn into a 'cake'. I scattered the top with chia seeds.
6. Bake for 40 – 45mins.
Let the banana bread cool for about 30 mins. Then thickly slice, and for best results, toast in a sandwhich press until golden.